Further to the Scottish Government’s publication of CPN (Construction Policy Note) 3/2020 – “Coronavirus (COVID-19): preparations for contracting authorities to restart the procurement and management of construction contracts” we thought it might be useful to share Maxi Construction’s recent experience as an SME working within construction frameworks.
CPN 3/2020 suggests that there is merit in contracting authorities considering procurement of construction works via established framework agreements as a route to enabling quicker contract awards as the construction sector moves towards restart and recovery.
In addition to enabling a shorter procurement period we have found benefits to delivering projects via framework agreements include:
- A collaborative approach with well-defined roles and responsibilities and clear information exchange protocols creates certainty.
- The timescales for approvals and deliverables are set out from the start which improves planning.
- Early discussions with supply chain members and the design team are encouraged driving whole life value for money design solutions throughout the construction phases on to handover and into operation.
- The shared knowledge of anticipated risks and necessary control measures leads to more effective co-ordination and improved management of the construction works.
- There is increased social value and delivery of community benefits compared to more traditional routes.
Maxi Construction is currently appointed to a number of framework agreements, including:
- The City of Edinburgh Council Multi Trade Works: Lot 6 (Works up to £500k) and Lot 7 (£500k-£5m)
- East Lothian Council Construction Works: Lots 4 (£250k-£500k), 5 (£500k-£1m) and 6 (£1m-£2m).
- North Ayrshire Council: 2019/21 Lot 2 – Minor Extensions and Alteration Work Non-Domestic Properties > £100k.
- South Lanarkshire Council: JCT 2016 Framework Agreement for the provision of Minor Works for Estates: Lot 10: Refurbishment
More recently we have been awarded a place on Crown Commercial Service Construction Works and Associated Services Framework: Lot 1.1.4 Building Works and Minor Associated Civil Engineering Works and Services up to £3m throughout Scotland.
The is the first government-led construction agreement which can be used by the whole public sector. The 7-year framework is for use by Central Government Departments (and Arm’s Length Bodies) and all other UK Public Sector Bodies, including, but not limited to, Local Authorities, Health, Police, Fire and Rescue, Education, Housing, Charities, Nuclear and Devolved Administrations. Further information on this framework can be found on the CCS web site https://www.crowncommercial.gov.uk/agreements/RM6088